UPDATE: Check out the photos and story on the marriage ceremony held on Valentine’s Day at a snowy (yes!) Loveland Ski Area. And don’s miss Loveland’s AWESOME video of the event and conversations with some of the 60 couples who participated.
We’ve always thought that riding a lift “single” was a great way to meet people. After all, you have SOMETHING in common with the person next to you, even if they ski and you ride (or vice versa).
So it makes complete sense to us that ski areas across the country are offering “Speed Dating” events in honor of Valentine’s Day, which is coming up next Tuesday (you’ve been warned, guys).
Here’s a look at just a few opportunities for “love on the slopes” that we found:
- Okemo Mountain in Vermont will host The Running of the Bridesmaids on Valentine’s Day. Skiers and riders who show up at the ticket window wedding finery and formal wear get a discounted day ticket ($59), free chicken wings, and a photograph. Wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, and tuxedos are among the suggested items.
- Black Mountain in New Hampshire beats the Valentine’s Day rush by hosting Chairlift Speed Dating from 2-4 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 11). The lift will give you 10 minutes to fall in love. Sign-up at 12:30 p.m. and is free with purchase of a lift ticket. Cheap Date? Half-date tickets for $30 after 12:30 p.m.).
- Bear Creek Ski Resort in Pennsylvania hosts Lift of Love on Tuesday. Singles will be randomly paired on a lift, then have seven minutes to get to know each other. At the top, ‘ski daters’ can ski off together or take another lift ride. ‘Lift of Love’ runs from 6-10 p.m., free with the purchase of a lift ticket. Daters can mingle in the VIP area, which includes Cupid’s Fire, tarot card readings, a s’mores buffet and more.
- Snowbird Resort in Utah is rolling out a Valentine’s Day Singles Line on the Peruvian Express chairlift. And it doesn’t have to be a costly experience: Adult, all-day tickets will be just $40 on Valentine’s Day. After the lift closes, singles can attend a singles social at El Chanate, Snowbird’s Mexican restaurant, where they just need to mention the singles line to earn a buy-one-get-one-free appetizer and entree.
- Loveland Resort in Colorado skips the dating and goes straight to the (snowy) altar on Tuesday with its 21st Annual Mountaintop Matrimony. That’s right, a mass wedding for those getting married or renewing their vows takes place at noon outside the Ptarmagin Roost Cabin at 12,050 feet. Couples must sign in Tuesday morning and be at the cabin 30 minutes early. Important to note: skiing is FREE if you’re signed in, but you HAVE to ride or ski. No rides up or down.
There are many other Valentine’s Day deals out there. Just check with your local resort.